About this website
All the information in this website is based on the best-possible evidence and has been checked by medical and other experts. It has been compiled in line with NHS England Information Standard guidance.
Jabs for the Boys is provided by HPV Action (HPVA), a partnership of almost 50 patient and professional organisations that are working to reduce the health burden of HPV.
The development of this website has been supported by an educational grant from MSD. This grant has been paid to the Oral Health Foundation, one of HPVA’s members, which is managing the project.
- Nick Baker, Outreach and Communications Manager, GMFA: The gay men’s health charity
- Dr Nigel Carter, Chief Executive, Oral Health Foundation.
- Dr Gillian Prue, Lecturer, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Institute for Health Sciences, Queen’s University Belfast.
- Dr Sue Sherman, Senior Lecturer, School of Psychology, Keele University.
- Professor Margaret Stanley, Emeritus Professor of Epithelial Biology, Cambridge University.
We are very grateful to all of the above and also to Brook for their comments on the section of the site aimed at boys.
HPV (Human Papillomavirus) is a very common virus that causes several serious diseases in men and women. It is believed to be responsible for about 5% of all cases of cancer in men and women.
In the UK, all girls aged 12/13 are offered a free vaccination by the NHS to protect them against HPV. But this option is not currently available to boys.
HPVA advocates ‘gender-neutral’ HPV vaccination. This would mean that all boys and girls are routinely offered vaccination against HPV at the age of 12/13. You can find out more about HPVA, its members and why it seeks gender-neutral vaccination here.